At Hill View ‘every child can’
We have created a can do mantra for the children at Hill View, we want to empower our students and install them with the belief that they can achieve whatever they want. Linked to our ‘I can’ statements within the curriculum this whole school based motivational phrase can be individual for each child’s dreams and aspirations.
"I can explore, I can imagine, I can learn - in our school every child can!"
Positive affirmations are like magic words that we say to ourselves to make us feel happy, confident, and strong. It's like giving ourselves a friendly pep talk to remind us how amazing we are!
Our Hill View mantra is used in classrooms, assemblies, SEL interventions and throughout school. It can be linked to individual challenges or to support our Golden Rules. It is the focus of our restorative practice when dealing with individual behaviours.
At Hill View we take on a restorative approach. When dealing with behaviour we have a focus that enables us to build and maintain healthy relationships within school. We do this by
1. Listen to the child and take on their perspective of events. This allows them to feel valued and respected.
2. Discuss how they feel using our ‘Colour monster’ support cards. Support the child in identifying how they were feeling at the time of the incident.
3. Consequence/Time out appropriate to age stage of child. Empathy and relationship building.
4. What do you need? Looking at how the child could have avoided their action. Use ‘I need’ cards. Self-regulation
5. Putting things right! What action will repair the relationship? Give ideas and work together to improve connections within the classroom and on the playground.